Monday, May 4, 2009

Advoacy Project: Healthcare Availability and Affordability

Purpose: To educate on the importance of having affordable and available health care for everyone in Minnesota.

Overview: My issue that I chose was about making health care available affordable to all Minnesotans. At first I was struggling to find an activity that was interesting, however, then through HealthPartners, I found an interactive “Care of Cost” activity. Here, you can go through different health procedures you may need done, and find out how much they cost! You can look at an annual planner, treatment costs, or procedure costs. (To see the procedure costs you need to be a member, so for the purpose of this I chose to do treatment costs) I thought I was amazing to see how much each minor condition can cost in the treatment costs section! This will help with my purpose, seeing how much these conditions can cost, can maybe show us how rough it would be to not have health care available to us, and see in the long run that low income families would not be able to treat so many minor illnesses. So, run through this activity and see how much your everyday illnesses can cost you without health insurance! (I understand that putting an amount or too much information can be not very secretive, so don’t feel like you HAVE to put your results…. Maybe just reflect)

For more information on health care availability and affordability check out these websites

HealthPartners
Minnesota Health Information
Minnesota Department of Health
Minnesota Department of Human Services

Good Luck!


5 comments:

  1. Hey Heather-
    I agree.. our topics were pretty difficult to find things for but I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoooOO,very interesting! I'm excited to do this one for my eye opener;) Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited to check out the websites!!!:) Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh Heather!
    I can't wait to try this! It will be interesting to see what can directly effect me! I'll let you know! Good find!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete